Thursday, January 24, 2008

How To Get Rid of What You Don't Want

There are many things I've said and done that I've forgotten about. Even though my apartment is not large, there are many things I have that I've likewise forgotten about.

Let me explain:

I was rummaging in the back of a closet the other day, looking for a particular hat. I did not find the hat. Instead, I found an entire set of matching luggage, given to me by a relative long ago and promptly stuffed out of sight. Heavy, cumbersome, and covered in an unfortunate pattern, I would never, ever use these bags. Why, then, had I kept them in my limited storage space?

I pulled the luggage out and laid them all on the floor. I unbuckled, unzipped, and opened every compartment. I found 8 pennies, a safety pin, two bobby pins, one dried up lipstick (jungle red) and a letter with mysterious handwriting on the envelope.

Inside was a sheet of paper with handwriting scrawled on both sides, an artifact from the pre-digital era. From what I could make out, someone whose name I didn't recognize was in hiding from authorities, and asking for assistance in obtaining travel permits.

I go to the kitchen for a large knife, and cut the luggage up into small pieces. I wrap the pieces in some canvas, tie the ends securely, take them outside, and throw the bundle onto a passing truck. I watch as it gets further and further away, until eventually it becomes a speck on the horizon. I blink my eyes and it's gone.

No comments: